Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday November 11, 2008

Well today was much more routine - Lola is feeling pretty good now, although still keeps sniffling and coughing a little. Niyi as full of his usual beans this morning and somehow I didn't manage to get in the shower until this afternoon! But anyway, it was busy but good so let's see what we actually did.

Unit Study: This is day two of our study using The Firekeeper's Son. We learnt all about Similes and did an art lesson on watercolors (Landscapes). I will be putting their artwork up on their Artsonia page later...The s easily remembered where Korea was on the map and Lola was even able to tell me what a Peninsula is. We looked through a book about Korea and noticed some similarities to both China and India.

Lola: Lola added to her prayer journal, did her math and cursive handwriting pretty early this morning. Later after our unit study activities, we read another chapter of Grammarland and learned about pronouns, we also added a definition of a simile to her English book and she wrote one to describe the sun/sky. This Grammar resource is working out so much better than Rod & Staff which seemed to be so much overkill and busywork that never really fit into our way of learning. It is great to see Lola enjoying this book. I am thinking about making a lapbook for this when we are done with it, but for now 1 lesson a week with the exercises in her Grammar book is perfect.Today I got her Spelling dictionary out and we have begun to use that again when writing - I need to wean her from asking me how to spell a word she doesn't know. If the word is not in the dictionary we will write it in, that way her dictionary will grow. Not a new idea for lots of you, but I read that the other day on one of the Homeschool boards and had a light bulb moment! She is still working on her French using Live Mocha and this is going well albeit a bit slow.

Tayo: Tayo is doing great on her math, she does this very easily so we are ready for a new lesson tomorrow. She as happy today to be working on sentences in her HWOT book, she really enjoys copywork and she will be able to just do copywork soon. We continued with her Word of the Day and today she chose Kemi as the word to learn how to read and put in her jar. She chooses a word a day and then each day we pull out all the words to read. Right now she has almost 20 words in there and it is getting harder for her to remember them - now this is where real reading rather than memorizing comes in! She read Going on a Bear Hunt with me today and loved being able to read lots of it! I know she is just impatient to get this learning to read stage over and become a real reader!

Niyi: As I mentioned earlier he was full of beans today and hard to keep occupied with anything more than 5 minutes. he did color with markers for a while and of course got it all over his hands! He has a fascination for the car games on the Lego website so I was able to get him to sit doing today, while I put away laundry and cleaned bathrooms. At least the s got a few minutes peace to get on with their work while he did this! Most of the rest of his day was spent running around outside - that's exactly what he needed!

Kemi: Of course she doesn't do school but I did want to mention that she is getting pretty good at sitting by herself! She manages for a while now using her hands to balance herself! Way to go Kemi! Oh and she really dislikes peas - have to wit before trying those again!

No comments: